CodeGear video competition
By: David Intersimone
Abstract: CodeGear community members are invited to take part in our first, developer community video competition. This is your opportunity to create a video tour de force to share with the programming world.
CodeGear community members are invited to take part in our first developer community video competition. This is your opportunity to create a video tour de force to share with the programming world.
The competition takes place during the months of August and September of 2007 (the competition ends 11:59pm Pacific Time September 30, 2007).
Create your video, upload it to YouTube, let us know it is there, and encourage your friends, coworkers, family, and neighbors to spread the word about your video.
Winners will be decided by the community based on a point scoring algorithm (defined below) made up of your YouTube video ratings, number of views, and favorite links. Competition winners will be notified in October and prizes will be awarded.
Complete details of the video competition are included below. If you have any questions you can either post a comment on the thread for this article, or send an email to .
Good Luck and may the best video win!
David Intersimone “David I”
Vice President, Developer Relations
CodeGear (from Borland)
What is it?
The CodeGear video competition is your chance to build the best 3-5 minute CodeGear video ever. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube by the participants. CodeGear Developer Network members and the public will be able view the videos. Winners will be based on a point score of YouTube metrics as outlined below.
Video creator(s) can use any information available on the www.codegear.com company and product sites to help create their video. Creators can also use the CodeGear products they own to add to the video.
The competition runs during August and September of 2007.
Who can participate?
All CodeGear developer network members, users of CodeGear products, and (for that matter) anyone else who is interested, can enter the competition. Employees of Borland and CodeGear can create videos but cannot win prizes. See additional legal notices below.
What do you have to create?
Create a 3-5 minute video related to CodeGear and/or its products.
Upload your video to YouTube (you’ll need to create a YouTube account if you don’t already have one) during the competition period (sorry, previously uploaded YouTube videos cannot be considered as new entries). Please include CodeGear somewhere in the “title” of the Video. In the description, describe what your video is. In the Tags field, put Use “CodeGear Video Competition”, any CodeGear product name(s) related to your video, and any other related text tags. For the video category please choose “Howto & DIY”.
The video can be an advertisement, depict a problem that you solved with a CodeGear product, a marketing video, a music video, a demonstration of a product feature you really like, something fun you do with a CodeGear product (props to Marco Cantu’s “Fun Side of Delphi”), why you use CodeGear and our products, a demonstration of a program you’ve built with a CodeGear product, how CodeGear/products helped you be more productive, and just about any other type of video related to CodeGear products.
We will accept videos entries using any spoken language. If the video is non-english, you might consider providing English subtitles to try and attract more viewers and hence a larger number of total points.
No “copyright” infringing content (audio or video) can be included. You can use CodeGear information, product demos, screen shots, images, etc from our web sites.
How to officially enter the competition
Send an email to David Intersimone, , with the subject line “CodeGear Video Competition”. In the body of your email include the link to the YouTube video, your name, the short description about your video, the country that you live in, and the title of your Video. There will be an article on CDN with links to all of the entries during (and after) the competition.
You can create as many videos as you want. Each prize will be awarded to a distinct individual (or team) regardless of how many videos are submitted (one person cannot win all the prizes).
How winners will be decided
Winners will be chosen by a total point score made up of YouTube ratings, views, and favorites.
# of YouTube views
# of YouTube favorites (number of times favored)
YouTube rating (number of stars)
The point score algorithm is
Total Points =
10 times the # of YouTube views your video gets
+ 25 times the # of YouTube favorites your video receives
+ 100 times the number of YouTube (whole) stars rating (partial stars do not count)
What do the winners get?
First place will receive a complete set of the latest CodeGear IDE products – Delphi 2007 for Win32, C++Builder 2007, JBuilder 2007 Enterprise editions.
Second place will receive their choice of an Enterprise edition of a CodeGear IDE product – Delphi 2007 for Win32, C++Builder 2007, or JBuilder 2007.
Third Place will receive their choice of a Professional edition of a CodeGear IDE product – Delphi 2007 for Win32, C++Builder 2007, or JBuilder 2007.
Note: Each prize will be awarded to a distinct individual (or team) regardless of how many videos are submitted by an individual (or team).
Some examples of CodeGear related videos already on YouTube:
The Adventures of Turbo Man part 1
Developer Tool Time
Conhencendo o Delphi
Voice Recognition + Control With Vista
Delphi 2007 and Delphi 4 PHP
Genesis Device Engine Preview
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Employees and directors of Borland Software Corporation ("Sponsor") its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and members of the immediate family or household of each of the above are not eligible to participate. Contest starts on or around 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on August 1, 2007 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m., PT on September 30, 2007 ("Promotion Period").
2. ODDS OF WINNING: The odds of winning a prize depends on the number of eligible entries received. The awarding of the prizes is based on the calculation of the point score as defined above and will be conducted under the supervision of Sponsor (Judge), whose decision is final and binding in all matters pertaining to this Contest. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decision of the Judge.
3. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Winners will be notified by e-mail or mailing address (at Sponsor's sole discretion) and may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Publicity and Liability within seven days of notification. In the event of noncompliance, if a winner cannot be reached at the e-mail or mailing address on that winner's entry, or if a prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable, that prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected. No substitution of any prizes will be offered. No prize transfer permitted. If a prize is unavailable, Sponsor reserves the sole right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner. By participating and accepting a prize, where permitted by law, the winner grants to Sponsor, (and agrees to confirm that grant in writing), and those acting pursuant to the authority of Sponsor, the right to print, publish, broadcast and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the World Wide Web, at any time(s), the winner's submission, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness and biographical information as news or information and for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation or review.
4. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: All entrants release Sponsor, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, agents, employees, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Web site and Contest from any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising from this Contest and/or acceptance or use/misuse of the prizes, including but not limited to liability for personal injury, bodily injury including wrongful death, damage to property, and damage or loss of any other kind. Sponsor is not responsible for prize quality or utility. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Web-site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or used in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error; omission; interruption; deletion; defect; delay in operation or transmission; communications-line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines; computer on-line systems, servers, or providers; computer equipment; software; or failure of e-mail or entry on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Web site or Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for user cheating or fraud by any entrants. Any activities intended to disrupt or interfere with the proper play of the Contest, or defraud Sponsor in any way will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Participants who engage in any of the foregoing activities will be disqualified and will forfeit any prizes won. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, worm or bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which in the sole opinion of Sponsor, could corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest.
5. DISPUTES: THIS CONTEST IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in California having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys' fees, other than participants' actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
7. WINNER: For the name of the winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Developer Relations Video Contest Winner, 100 Enterprise Way, Scotts Valley CA 95066 by October 31, 2007.
8. Any videos entered in the competition must not be defamatory, obscene, illegal, infringe any third party intellectual property rights, or otherwise negatively reflect upon CodeGear ("Prohibited Activities"). You agree to indemnify us fully in the event of any claims relating to Prohibited Activities. You may use the CodeGear logo provided by us solely in your video. CodeGear reserves the right to terminate the right to use the logo immediately upon notice to you for any reason or no reason.
CONTEST SPONSOR: The contest Sponsor is Borland Software Corporation, 100 Enterprise Way, Scotts Valley CA 95066
Void where prohibited by law.
Published on: 8/1/2007 5:22:27 PM
Server Response from: ETNASC03